Constructed in 1918 and designed by the firm of Newhouse and Bernham, the Hampton House was originally the 11-story Sisson Hotel, the building is located at the intersection of 53rd Street and South Shore Drive on the old site of Paul Cornell’s first Hyde Park House hotel, which opened in 1857. The Sisson was built directly on the lakefront, in the days before landfill made Lake Shore Drive a reality. Later operating as the Hotel Sherry and then the Sherry Apartments, the Hampton House acquired its current name in 1979 when it was converted to a condominium residence.
Chicago Mayor and Illinois Congressman Harold Washington was a resident of the Hampton House.
More about the history of Hampton House can be read in this Wikipedia article:
Photos of Hampton House Hyde Park
Click any photo to enlarge it. Then you can browse through all the photos using the controls, or click anywhere on the screen to get back to this page.
Directions to Hampton House
Use the Google Maps link below for directions to Hampton House.